Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
the university experience™
Information 
Hey everyone,

Since I'm starting university soon, I'm thinking it'd be a great idea to document my journey towards getting my BSc in physics. My idea of progressing towards a goal such as this one is "sucking less" than the previous day/week/month until I don't suck anymore. I reckon an online diary of sorts would help me stay motivated throuought my journey, while perhaps also inspiring others in pursuit of an education of any sort.

This will be my first entry. Regular entries will begin on September 18th, 2023.

A quick rundown of my situation:
  • Got my high school diploma
  • Successfully enrolled in the BSc course "Technical Physics" at the Technical University of Vienna
  • Found a place to stay at a reasonable cost (dorm), signed a contract with said dorm
  • Bought an old E36 BMW to fuck around with (my parents think I bought it to help with moving lmao)

The most important thing on my agenda right now is to prepare for the shock that's coming at the start of my first semester. I'm in no way a "momma's boy", but I've never been away from my family for more than a couple weeks at a time, and when I think of what is to come - it's making me feel a bit uneasy. Another thing I need to do is brush up on my math skills (they fucking blow) - I've been putting this off for long enough and it's time for me to finally start doing something about my lack of expertise in the field of mathematics. 

Lastly, I've been thinking about how I'll become financially independent from my parents and close family. They've expressed that they'd like to fully support me all the way through my studies, but this doesn't sit right with me. I am (considered) an adult after all, have the capacity to work, and have absolutely no excuse (apart from having to find something short-term because of the move to Vienna) for not having a job at the moment. 

Other things to I have to do: 
  • Sell my PC and monitors because transporting these to Austria would be risky
  • Rebuild the cooling system on the BMW so that I don't break down in the middle of a highway (E3x, E4x generations of BMWs have garbage cooling that is prone to failure)
  • Arrange for the acquisition of the keys to my dorm
  • Get my piano tuned
  • Tally up a list of things I need to buy to make my uni life bearable

That's all there is for now, more updates will follow suit in the coming weeks :-)
"I'm gonna carry the fucking boats today" -[Image: Goggins-blog-cover-C218-A70-A68-A9-BC49-...FAEBD8.jpg]
you're gonna have a lot of freedom, but make sure to adhere to basic discipline. just because you're able to sleep in doesn't mean you should, for instance. try and stick to a daily routine, and you'll relax plenty.
i hated college, but found joy in getting up at 7am to grab a coffee & peppermint patty, then work on programming in the student lounge.
yeah, discipline is a thing i really have to work on. it's time for me to adopt that david goggins mentality to push through shit i don't like to do

Quote:"Who's gonna carry the boats and the logs?" - David Goggins
"I'm gonna carry the fucking boats today" -[Image: Goggins-blog-cover-C218-A70-A68-A9-BC49-...FAEBD8.jpg]
i would also recommend taking up a hobby that you can also do in your dorm room. for me, it was coffee.
i already have a couple of hobbies i can comfortably do in my dorm. music production and programming are the ones i'd like to pursue long term
Small E36 update: I've reworked the cooling system on the E36. Found out that there is a small perforation on the oil pan that is leaking tiny amounts of oil. This is not that big of a deal, but it will have to be replaced at some point.
[Image: 20230907-161844.jpg]
Dorm update: got the essentials, getting /comfy/
Update: I am slowly going insane. Bocchi the Rock! has become the essence of my being. Losing touch with reality

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)